Marketo is now standardizing language across all subscriptions, so you may see lead/leads in your subscription and person/people in docs.marketo.com. These terms mean the same thing; it does not affect article instructions. There are some other changes, too. Learn more.
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to import people from a spreadsheet file into Marketo.
Step 1: Download and Edit a Spreadsheet
1. To start, download our practice spreadsheet file (tradeshow-attendees.csv) to your computer.
When importing a date, use this format: 9/21/15 (Month/Day/Year).
Any date/time fields being imported are treated as Central Time. If you have date/time fields in a different time zone, you can use an Excel formula to transform it to Central Time (America/Chicago).
2. Add your own first name, last name, email address, and job title, then save the file on your computer.
Enter your real email address in the CSV file so you can receive the nurturing emails you'll send in the next mission.
Step 2: Create a Program
1. Go to the Marketing Activities area.
2. Select your Learning folder, then under New click New Program.
3. Name the program "My Tradeshow Program" and select "Event" for the Program Type.
4. Select Tradeshow for the Channel and click Create.
Event programs occur on specific dates. Learn more about Events.
Step 3: Import Your Spreadsheet into Marketo
1. In My Tradeshow Program, click New and select New Local Asset.
2. Click List.
3. Name the list "Tradeshow Attendees" and click Create.
4. In your Tradeshow Attendees list, click List Actions and select Import List.
If you are using your own CSV file, make sure that it is encoded UTF-8, UTF-16, Shift-JIS, or EUC-JP.
The size limit for CSV files is 100MB.
5. Browse to the tradeshow-attendees.csv spreadsheet file on your computer and click Next.
In List Import Mode, choosing Skip new people and updates means you will not impact existing person records or log any activities. Use this mode if you want a quick, pre-filtered static list of existing people for use in your marketing activities. Selecting this mode will:
Skip new person creation
Skip person field updates
Skip activity logging
6. Map your List Column fields to their respective Marketo Field and click Next.
Column headers should always match the field exactly (case sensitive) in order to achieve the best auto-mapping results. If you're using custom fields and don't see them in the drop-down, go back and create them so they can become options.
If there are any fields you don't want to import, select Ignore in the Marketo Field drop-down menu.
7. Select My Tradeshow Program for the Acquisition Program, then click Import.
8. Wait for your people to import, then close the import progress pop-up.
9. Back in My Tradeshow Program, click the Members tab. You'll see all the people you just imported.
You can analyze the success of your program by tracking program membership. Learn more about Programs .
Your tradeshow attendees are now members of your Marketo program!