If you have a directory service that authenticates users, you can allow single sign-on (SSO) into Marketo. We support this feature using Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) version 2.0 and higher.
Marketo functions as a SAML Service Provider (SP), and depends on an external Identity Provider (IdP) to authenticate users.
Once SSO is enabled, the IdP can validate a user’s credentials. When a user wishes to use Marketo software, the IdP then sends a signed SAML message to Marketo, acting as the SP. This message vouchsafes to Marketo that the user is authorized to use Marketo software.
Admin Permissions Required
Are you a Microsoft Azure user? Check out their integration tutorial.
How to Send the Request
- Send the SSO request, which is a SAML response, to https://login.marketo.com/saml/assertion/<your-munchkin-id>
- As the SP’s Audience URL. Use http://saml.marketo.com/sp
- If you are using the SPNameQualifier attribute, set the NameID element for Subject to http://saml.marketo.com/sp
- If you are federating multiple Marketo subscriptions to the same SSO provider, you can use unique SP urls for each Marketo sub with the format http://saml.marketo.com/sp/<munchkin_id>
Marketo only supports Identity Provider-initiated (also known as IdP-initiated), in which the user first launches the Idp login page, authenticates, then navigates to My Marketo.
- Sync-up time - For a new user, there is about a 10 minute delay before an initial SSO request is processed.
- User Provisioning - Users are provisioned manually by Marketo.
- Authorization - User permissions are maintained within Marketo.
- OAuth support - Marketo does not currently support OAuth.
Before starting, have your Identity Provider Certificate in X.509 format and in .crt, .der, or .cer extension.
Update SAML Settings
SSO is disabled by default. Follow these steps to enable SAML and configure it.
1. Go to Admin and click Single Sign-On.
If you don't see Single Sign-On under Admin, contact [email protected].
2. Under the SAML Settings section, click on Edit.
3. Change SAML Single Sign-On to Enabled.
4. Enter your Issuer ID, Entity ID, select the User ID Location, then click Browse.
5. Select your Identity Provider Certificate file.
6. Click Save.
Update Redirect Page Settings
1. Under the Redirect Pages section, click Edit.
Customers using Universal ID along with SSO must enter the login URL of the Identity Provider in the Login URL field.
2. Enter a Logout URL. This is the URL you want the user to be directed to when they log out of Marketo.
3. Enter an Error URL. This is the URL you want the user to be directed to in case logging into Marketo fails. Click Save.
Both these pages must be publicly available.