Marketo is now standardizing language across all subscriptions, so you may see lead/leads in your subscription and person/people in docs.marketo.com. These terms mean the same thing; it does not affect article instructions. There are some other changes, too. Learn more.
Static lists are one of the most simple and useful features of Marketo. They are simply a list of names from your Database. You will find plenty of reasons to use them.
A single person in the database can be in many different static lists.
|Smart List||Based on defined rules|
|Static List||Based on adding/removing each person|
One of the most common mistakes is thinking you can remove a person from a list by simply "deleting the person." This is wrong. Deleting the person will delete them from the entire database, not just the list.
Ways to Add/Remove People from a List
- Smart campaign flow step (Add to List, Remove from List)
- Single action flow step
- Dragging people into a list in the tree
- List import
Some Uses of a Static List
- A list that has been pre-selected to receive a marketing message.
- A "competitors" list that you use to send mischievous counter-intelligence messages.
- A temporary list of people in a particular state, who are then removed by smart campaigns when they exit that state.
Enjoy the power of the LIST!